http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/9700909.stm The video will only be posted on the BBC site for a few weeks. if the link is dead, the video was removed.
I found the following interesting on this video:
- The decision by the MHRA (British regulator) to require annual monitoring of the MOM hips
- The comments by the surgeons about the significant damage observed during surgery very similar to what I have experienced: eating away the pelvis
- The lax process that is required to get a hip on the market vs getting a drug on the market.
- I was amazed to see the metal particles removed as I thought they were all microscopic sized particles. Wrong. These particles were quite large.
- The surgeon who was hired to train the surgeons in Brittan on inserting the MOM depuy hips is now an expert witness for the prosecution!
- The reporter commented that J&J (Depuy's parent) has actually set aside $3Billion to deal with the law suits. I don't recall the set aside being as high.