A few things he mentions which I found interesting were:
- The 6 year revision rate with MoM is around 50%.
- The rates are high because there is ware that is associated outside of the cup area in the stem which I posted about a few days ago.
- the stems apparently have not been revised over time to accommodate larger bearing surfaces.
- Metal ion in the blood is directly related to the amount of metal removed from the hip replacement itself.
- Metal ions congregate locally in the hip fluid (interesting as I had a lot of fluid around the hip.)
- the problems with these hips is under recognized in general by the surgeons unless they know exactly what they are looking for.