Cobalt toxicity - an emerging clinical problem in patients with metal-on-metal hip prostheses?
SourceSecond Xiangya Hospital of Central South University, Changsha, Hunan, China. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- neurological symptoms including cognitive decline, memory difficulties
- crebrovascular episode (presented with symptoms representative of a stroke (dizzy, nausea vomiting etc)
- continued metal taste in her mouth
- severe headaches
- weight loss
- no hip symptoms since original replacement 4 years prior.
- X ray showed marked bone loss
- painful muscle fatigue in all limbs
- cramps in hands and feet particularly at nite
- feeling faint
- inability to climb a flight of stairs without needing to rest
- couldn't remember names
- poor concentration.
8 weeks post revision, the symptoms all subsided.