SourceRoyal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore, UK. email@example.com
- activating antigen-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocytes that are able to induce apoptosis in body cells displaying epitopes of foreign antigen on their surface, such as virus-infected cells, cells with intracellular bacteria, and cancer cells displaying tumor antigens;
- activating macrophages and natural killer cells, enabling them to destroy pathogens; and
- stimulating cells to secrete a variety of cytokines that influence the function of other cells involved in adaptive immune responses and innate immune responses.
When you have a low white blood cell count there is an increased risk of infection. The level of risk depends on several factors:
- How low your white blood count falls
- How long your white blood count is low
- Which type of low white blood cell count you have
Cancer /ˈkænsər/ ( listen) (medical term: malignant neoplasm) is a class of diseases in which a group of cells display uncontrolled growth, invasion that intrudes upon and destroys adjacent tissues, and sometimes metastasis, or spreading to other locations in the body via lymph or blood.
Researchers divide the causes of cancer into two groups: those with an environmental cause and those with a hereditary genetic cause. Cancer is primarily an environmental disease, though genetics influence the risk of some cancers. Common environmental factors leading to cancer include: tobacco, diet and obesity, infections, radiation, lack of physical activity, and environmental pollutants. These environmental factors cause or enhance abnormalities in the genetic material of cells. Cell reproduction is an extremely complex process that is normally tightly regulated by several classes of genes, including oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes.
So, if your T cell counts are low due to the metal on metal hip implant, then it becomes difficult to fight off infection. Infection is one of the causes of cancer....Make sense?]